February 16, 2014

A Coming-of-Age Ceremony



I attended the Bat Mitzvah of a good friend yesterday--a very close friend. How close? As close as our names can be! In other words, we have the same name. That sure gives me an inkling of kindred comrade. I'll call her as "Star" here.



For those who don't know what a Bat Mitzvah is, let me describe it for you.




Bat Mitzvah literally means "daughter of commandment". The word "bat" means "daughter" in Aramaic, which was the commonly spoken language of the Jewish people (and much of the Middle East) from about 500 B.C.E. to 400 C.E. The word "mitzvah" is Hebrew for "commandment".


The term "Bat Mitzvah" refers to two things: When a girl reaches twelve-years-old, she becomes a "bat mitzvah" and is recognized by Jewish tradition as having the same rights as an adult. She is now morally and ethically responsible for her decisions and actions. The term "Bat Mitzvah" also refers to a religious ceremony that accompanies a girl becoming a Bat Mitzvah. Often, a celebratory party will follow the ceremony. That party is also called a bat mitzvah.

[For boys, they would have a Bar Mitvah at the age of thirteen.]


If you want to know the history of the Bat Mitzvah, read more about it here. The quote above was also taken from that site.


The ceremony was beautifully orchestrated--I wasn't the only one moved. And for those who know me in real life, I'm not the kind of person who easily shows deep emotions. Star showed her achievement of her parents' challenge--to memorize the entire chapters of Matthew 5, 6, and 7! I wasn't the only one impressed, I can tell you that.


It was an outdoor ceremony. In their backyard, to be specific. They put up a canopy, and set dozens of portable chairs on the lawn. They even got a jumper for the younger attendees! The theme: Disney's "Frozen". Quaint, but cute.


Star's parents each told on how my friend had been such a positive influence and blessing in their lives. Her older sister sang a Chinese song, dedicated for her. Her younger sister did an adorable version of Frozen's "Let It Go". Tears were freely shown, I might add. [Hey, we have the right to be more relaxed among our friends!] The purity necklace that she got was beautiful (as well as economical, she later told me). It was a gold-plated circle with a heart in the middle. As her mom said, "exactly what she thought a purity necklace should look like."


The fathers, representing their families, laid hands on Star and prayed their individual blessing on her. All of us (her friends), read our blessing cards to her. We laughed and cried together, especially at the end, when my same-name friend read her thank-you speech. I'm not ashamed to admit that I broke down (inwardly) when she did (outwardly).


The food that followed was just as amazing as the ceremony itself.
I was told that her mom got up at four in the morning to prepare all that food! The rest of the day was spent in sweet fellowship (the formal word for 'socializing'). xD



All in all, I am again reminded just how much we have to be thankful for. Life may hold dread for some, but for the rest of us, we can rest assured that our Heavenly Father has planned out amazing things to happen in each of our lives.



The Lord is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment