January 31, 2014

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year!

Today marks the start of the Chinese Lunar Year, the Year of the Horse (my favorite animal!). One of the twelve animals of the Chinese zodiac, the horse signifies kindness, strength, and gregariousness. In the larger Chinese astrological cycle, this year is also associated with the element of wood, which makes 2014 the Year of the Wooden Horse. The combination is supposed to signify twelve months of patience and cooperation ahead. People around the world usher in the new year with firework displays, family get-togethers, temple visits, and street festivals. 

My whole family went to celebrate the new year with my uncle last night, since both sets of my grandparents are either in Canada or in Taiwan this year. And yes, I saw my new cousin! He's so adorable, and his face is so pretty--literally! I mean, most babies have scrunched-out faces, but not this one! His skin is so soft, and everything is all miniature--kawaii!  <3


But anyways, we had an awesome dinner of home-made hot pot. My uncle, who has good taste in food quality (and, I might add, a bit picky with his food sometimes), specially bought a pack of "premium" meat, which we rapidly consumed--despite the fact that we've already finished two other packs of "regular" lamb and beef. xD

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a headache...not the best way on how to wake up in the morning of a new year, but eh, it's all right. ^^

To conclude this rough draft of an entry, here are some links to The Chinese Zodiac Story, Lunar Calendar, A Chinese New Year Story, and the ever-important Traditions.


Happy Chinese New Year! *lights fireworks*



No comments:

Post a Comment